PIE DOUGH INGREDIENTS:
- 2 1/4 cups of chilled all-purpose flour
- 8 oz cold unsalted butter
- 4 oz of ice cold water
- 1 tsp of sea salt
APPLE PIE COMPOTE INGREDIENTS:
- 3 apples (I used the Autumn Glory apples from Trader Joe’s for a caramel-like flavor)
- 1/2 cup of raw turbinado sugar (available at Trader Joe’s)
- 1/2 tsp of ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup of water
- 3 tbsp of all-purpose flour
CREATING THE PIE DOUGH…
Pie dough ingredients and directions were adapted from The Saturday Evening Post! I split the pie dough into two and chilled overnight. I also used an 8-inch pie dish to bake!
MAKING THE APPLE COMPOTE…
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Dice all three apples, but set aside one diced apple for later use.
- In a small pot, bring 1 cup of water to a boil. Once boiling, add the sugar, and bring it to medium heat. Stir every 30 seconds to one minute for 3 minutes to help the sugar dissolve.
- Once the sugar dissolves, add 2 diced apples, nutmeg, cinnamon, and pure vanilla extract. Mix, and let the flavors marinate for 5 minutes in low-medium heat.
- In a small bowl, add three tablespoons of flour. Add syrup from the heated pot into this bowl, and mix until the flour is completely integrated into the sauce, which should now be viscous. Put this sauce back into the pot.
- Thoroughly mix, and turn off the heat.
PREPARING THE APPLE PIE…
- Take out both of the chilled pie dough balls, and roll them flat on a clean surface.
- Lightly grease an 8-inch pie dish. Place one flattened pie dough over the dish and mold so that the bottom and sides of the dish are covered with dough.
- Add the last diced apple into the pot containing the compote, and mix. Place this compote mixture over the molded pie dough.
- Cut the other flattened pie dough into strips to make a lattice-like pattern over the compote.
- Place in the oven, and bake for 40 minutes. (Less or more time may be needed depending on the strength of your oven, so check every 15 minutes! The pie crust should be golden brown. You can also use a toothpick to pierce the pie where you should hear a crunch-like sound.)
- Optional but HIGHLY recommended… SLICE AND SERVE WITH VANILLA ICE CREAM!